The coronavirus and you
As the wellbeing of our residents is of utmost importance, we are putting the best possible measures in place to ensure the good health of both residents and staff. The advantage of living within a controlled and managed environment like MERV is that it helps to minimise the spread of germs, however, we do realise that certain age groups are at higher risk than others so we have outlined some of the steps that we have taken to provide protection.
What are we doing?
- Our ongoing daily infection control procedures have been intensified, and our Care Centre doctors and nurses are following all developments on an hourly basis and assisting with the implementation of various virus-fighting measures at Mount Edgecombe Retirement Village.
- Hand sanitisers are placed at all entrances, for all staff, visitors and residents or anybody else who enters the premises to use.
- Our new homes are under construction, however for the wellbeing of our residents, these areas remain strictly off-limits.
- In line with the Government guidelines on COVID-19, there are less than 100 construction workers on site at any one time. While general hygiene is being closely monitored, all workers are required to sanitise their hands before entering the estate.
- In line with the Government guidelines on COVID-19, all large gatherings and events hosted at or by the Care Centre have been postponed until further notice.
- In line with the Government guidelines on COVID-19, all public trips/ outings have been cancelled until further notice.
- As the health and safety of our residents is of utmost importance, large groups of visitors will not be permitted to enter the Care Centre and individual visitors will only be permitted entry upon request.
What can you do?
- If you have recently returned to South Africa, please practice a 14-day self-isolation quarantine in order to reduce the risk of spreading the virus.
- The symptoms of COVID-19 (presenting 2-14 days after exposure) include a runny nose, coughing, sore throat, fever and shortness of breath. Don’t delay in contacting your doctor if you have any of these symptoms.
- The official government COVID-19 helpline is 0600 123-456. Send a WhatsApp message to this number with the word “Hi” to receive all the latest official information from the government regarding COVID-19, including testing, treatment, symptoms to look out for and other updates.
- Regular and thorough hand washing and good cough and sneeze practices are of utmost importance.
- Avoid touching other people, even shaking hands, hugging or kissing hello.
- If you suspect that you have been infected with the virus, please call your doctor or arrange to have yourself tested at your nearest National Institute for Communicable Diseases (NICD). Your doctor can advise you on this.
- Your emotional wellbeing is important to us and we understand that we cannot force anyone to completely refrain from interacting with others, therefore we ask that you are mindful of limiting your social interactions and recommend that you adhere to the advised social distancing of at least 1-metre. The positive side is that, being within Mount Edgecombe Retirement Village means that interacting with your neighbours can still happen in this manner.
- It’s important for your wellbeing to stay in touch with family; strong social networks and strong family ties are still very much central to living well so let people and loved ones know you are not well.
- Sick or not, now is the time to get clever with apps. Depending on your service provider you can buy airtime and data from your phone, follow news portals, keep connected on social media and interact with family chats. Since mass gatherings like church and gym are not advisable at this time, there are apps which can provide things like bible verses and scriptures and online yoga or exercise.
- Although social distancing remains crucial, you can still get outside and enjoy the fresh air or walk your dog you and enjoy the privilege of being in an estate with lots of open green space.