Your best interest at heart – always
At Mount Edgecombe Retirement Village, our residents’ wellbeing, safety and peace of mind is at the very heart of everything that we do. From offering vigilant Village access protocols to having around-the-clock, experienced and dedicated healthcare professionals on site to home-style catering delivered to your door; we strive to ensure that our residents come first.
Our Care Centre partners, TotalCare, have taken a rigorous approach to ensure our residents are well taken care of in these uncertain times.
We are putting the best possible measures in place to ensure that the good health of our residents and staff.
Living in a contained environment helps to minimise the spread of germs, however, we do realise that those in their golden years are at higher risk. Here are some of the steps that we have taken to provide protection:
- Our ongoing daily infection control procedures have been intensified, and our Care Centre doctors and nurses are following all developments on an hourly basis and assisting with the implementation of various virus-fighting measures at Mount Edgecombe Retirement Village.
- Hand sanitisers at placed at all entrances, for all staff, visitors and residents or anybody else who enters the premises to use.
- Our new homes are under construction, however for the wellbeing of our residents, these areas remain strictly off-limits.
- In line with the Government guidelines on COVID-19, there are less than 100 construction workers on site at any one time. While general hygiene is being closely monitored, all workers are required to sanitise their hands before entering the estate.
- In line with the Government guidelines on COVID-19, all large gatherings and events hosted at or by the Care Centre have been postponed until further notice.
- Your emotional wellbeing is important to us and we understand that we cannot force anyone to completely refrain from interacting with others, therefore we ask that you are mindful of limiting your social interactions and recommend that you adhere to the advised social distancing of at least 1-metre. The positive side is that, being within Mount Edgecombe Retirement Village means that interacting with your neighbours can still happen in this manner.
- In line with the Government guidelines on COVID-19, all public trips/ outings have been cancelled until further notice.
- As the health and safety of our residents is of utmost importance, large groups of visitors will ne be permitted to enter the Care Centre and individual visitors will be permitted entry upon request.
- If you have recently returned to South Africa, please practice a 14-day self-isolation quarantine in order to reduce the risk of spreading the virus.
- The symptoms of COVID-19 (presenting 2-14 days after exposure) include a runny nose, coughing, sore throat, fever and shortness of breath. Don’t delay in contacting your doctor if you have any of these symptoms.
- Regular and thorough hand washing and good cough and sneeze practices are of utmost importance.
- Avoid touching other people, even shaking hands, hugging or kissing hello.
- If you suspect that you have been infected with the virus, please call your doctor or arrange to have yourself tested at your nearest National Institute for Communicable Diseases (NICD). Your doctor can advise you on this.
- The official government COVID-19 helpline is 0600 123-456. Send a WhatsApp message to this number with the word “hi” to receive all the latest official information from the government regarding COVID-19, including testing, treatment, symptoms to look out for and other updates.
Mount Edgecombe Retirement Village is taking all action necessary to ensure that we keep the virus at bay in whatever way possible. We understand the gravity of the situation and are acting systematically to ensure the safety of all at Mount Edgecombe Retirement Village, as we have always done and will continue to do.