For those of us who exercise and even those who don’t, skipping proper stretching means we don’t get to enjoy the many benefits that come with it. With ageing often associated with the loss of flexibility and mobility, it’s important to remember to stretch and to do so regularly. Here’s why you might want to start reaching for those toes…
- Improved posture: With tight muscles causing poor posture, stretching allows us to stand tall and correctly. This means less back pain too.
- Improved range of motion: As we age, our joints lose their flexibility. With regular stretching, we can regain our flexibility at any age!
- Less soreness and fewer injuries: Stretching can help release muscle tension and prevent injury, which directly translates to greater quality of life.
- Increased wellness: Stretching aids circulation, muscle control and improved balance and coordination, which are all vital for healthier ageing.
- Lower stress hormones: Stretching stimulates receptors in the nervous system and as a result, slows down the production of stress hormones. This means less fatigue, stress, and anxiety.
Within our Village, our residents enjoy a weekly Stretch & Tone class hosted by the lovely RiAnne (Miss SA Fame Fitness Model and Miss World Fame Fitness Model). Not only is this great for the health and fitness of our community, but it also gives our people a chance to catch up and spend some time together. This makes a Stretch & Tone class just as good for the soul as it is for the body.